The German Club in Manila had existed for a little more than 18 years when the club member John Ohaus typed up its history on a few pages of paper. His notes and some other memorabilia were inserted in a copper tube which was them embedded in the concrete of the fist pillar of the clubhouse on San Luis Street during the foundation stone ceremony on November 16, 1924. You can purchase the book for PHP 1.680.- in the club.
The time capsule was recovered some years after the clubhouse had been destroyed in the course of the battle over Manila in February 1945. The documents that were kept in the tube were still well preserved and served as the cornerstone for the festschrift that the club issued to mark its 50th anniversary in 1956. Written in the German language this neatly designed pamphlet had 46 pages and was illustrated with several historical black and white photographs.
Three decades had elapsed without any further publications until the Club’s Board of Directors by resolution created a History Committee, which after two years of exhaustive efforts presented the first edition of the German Club History Book on the occasion of the club’s 80th anniversary in 1986. Subtitled “A History of the German Community in the Philippines,” the book was much more than an updated version of the club chronicle. In fact it contained the narratives of the early individual German visitors, explorers and clergymen who had come to the Philippines during centuries of Spanish colonial rule.
The second version of the Club’s History Book came out ten years later. Maintaining the format and layout of the previous edition, it contained a large supplement covering the many noteworthy events that had occurred both in Germany and in the Philippines between 1986 and 1996.
This Centennial Edition of the German Club History Book once more is the result of over two years of intensive efforts.